| || |
Parnell Community was founded in 1900 by W. E.(Bull) Parnell. Situated twenty miles northwest of here, Parnell Community is a busy farming and ranching center. A cotton gin, feed store, bank, grocery, post office, cafe, and various other businesses serve the entire area.
Population in the town reached a peak of 359 in the late 1940's and has remained almost constant at around 250 for the past twenty years. (left: The Parnell Homestead)
A school was started in 1900 by the late Constance Mae (Sissy) Parnell. The Parnell Community School merged with the Brushy Creek School in the early 1950's to form Parnel Brushy Creek Consolidated. Housed in the original Parnell Community School building, PBCC has a current enrollment of 87 students in grades K-12.